Deep Dive On Accessibility Testing
Full-day workshop • Wednesday, September 7, 2022.
“Oh, and by the way, the site has to be accessible!” — Wait! What? How? What does accessible even mean? Semantic HTML, right? Is there more? How do I test accessibility? Do I need special hard- or software? Are there tools I can use? How do I discover and fix accessibility bugs? How do I assure my site stays accessible? Can I automate testing? …
So many daunting and overwhelming questions, if you don't know how to get started. Manuel Matuzović guides you through the first steps and takes a deep dive into automated and manual accessibility testing.
Here’s What You Should Be Expecting:
Inspiring & Immersive
A full day of teaching in a small group
Interactive & Practical
Plenty of time for practice & feedback
With reviews by your teacher
Learn from your teacher and other attendees
Dedicated Q&A time
To ask all your questions
Digital Smashing Certificate
A well-deserved reward for your work
What Will Attendees Learn In This Workshop?
- Introduction to web accessibility, users, disabilities and different input modalities.
- Which testing tools are available and most commonly used.
- How to assess the accessibility of a component or page.
- The difference between automatic and manual testing.
- How to use automatic accessibility testing tools and how to interpret the results.
- How to use the keyboard to discover accessibility bugs.
- Screen reader basics and how to use them for accessibility testing, both on desktop and mobile devices.
- How to test the accessibility of Single Page Applications.
- Common pitfalls of Single Page Applications and how to avoid them.
- How to integrate accessibility testing in your day-to-day development workflow.
- Running tests on the command line and creating automated reports.
- Integrating accessibility testing in your build pipeline.
- Where to find information and help on how to build complex components.
- If there’s time left, we’ll test some of the sites you send me live.
Who Is This For?
This is a full day with lots of time for Q&A. It’s for web developers (front-end and back-end), UI designers and for anyone who has at least a basic understanding of HTML and CSS. After attending this workshop you’ll be able to test the accessibility of websites and -apps using automated and manual tools and plan and develop new sites with accessibility in mind.
What Hardware/software Do I Need To Bring?
Make sure you bring your laptop. Before the workshop we will send you more information on what tools to install.
About Manuel Matuzović
Manuel Matuzović is a front-end developer who's passionate about HTML and CSS. He works for the City of Vienna where he builds accessible frontends and assesses the quality of sites built by others. He's a certified accessibility expert, auditor, teacher and consultant. He writes about accessibility, HTML, and CSS on his personal blog matuzo.at and htmhell.dev.
Time & Location
This full-day workshop will take place the day after SmashingConf. The workshop will be running from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM on Wednesday, September 7.
Schedule for Wednesday, September 7
9:00 AM – Doors open, Registration
9:30 AM – Introduction & Kick-off
11:00 AM – Coffee Break
1:00 PM – Lunch
2:00 PM – Afternoon Session
3:30 PM – Coffee Break
5:30 PM – The End
Save 100 EUR when signing up for the conference and a workshop!