Smart Responsive UX Design Patterns
Full-day workshop • October 25th
In this workshop, Vitaly Friedman, co-founder of Smashing Magazine, will cover practical techniques, clever tricks and useful strategies you need to be aware of when working on responsive websites. From responsive modules to clever navigation patterns and web form design techniques; the workshop will provide you with everything you need to know today to start designing better responsive experiences tomorrow.
Most techniques are borrowed from mid-size and large-scale real-life projects, such as large eCommerce projects, online magazines and web applications. We won’t cover the basics, but rather advanced and innovative examples of RWD in action.
In the workshop, we’ll be taking a closer look at:
- Effective tools and techniques that can support and enhance your personal workflow when working on any responsive design project,
- An overview of clever practical techniques for improving UX of responsive sites incl. navigation and search,
- Responsive Design Patterns and innovative approaches to designing “responsive modules” such as mega-drop downs, tables, calendars, multi-level menus, maps, carousels and web forms,
- How to apply clever patterns such as improved off-canvas navigation, assistant pattern, smart URL design, priority+ pattern, vertical media queries, “view mode” approach, lazy loading, autocomplete, type-ahead search, filters, portrait/landscape orientation change, inventory-based sliders, the country selector and responsive iconography,
- How to craft delightful interfaces with smooth transitions, clever animations and improve perceived performance along the way,
- How to optimize responsive websites for better mobile UX, faster data input and higher conversion rates,
- Design anti-patterns to avoid when designing a responsive site to not run into performance issues and “slow UX decay”,
- How the design processes should adapt in terms of the project management, deliverables, performance budgets, team organization and strategy.
What hardware/software do you need?
You’ll need to bring a lot of creativity with your preferred coffee mug.
Time & Location
This full-day workshop will be hosted at the (link: locations text: Westin Times Square) and will take place the day before SmashingConf. The workshop will be running from 9:30am to 5:00pm on Thursday, October 25th.
Microsoft is the Workshop Sponsor for SmashingConf2018, hosting workshops in the Westin and Microsoft Times Square facility. Note: Your workshop fee covers event costs and speaker payment – Microsoft does not receive any proceeds from your ticket fee.
Schedule for Thursday, October 25th
9:00 – Doors open, Registration 9:30 – Introduction & Kick-off 11:00 – Coffee Break 13:00 – Lunch 14:00 – Afternoon Session 15:30 – Coffee Break 17:00 – The End
Save $100 when signing up for the conference and a workshop!