Modern Universal React Dev With Next.js
Full-day workshop • Thursday, October 17
Next.js is a framework for building React applications with automatic server side rendering support, which results in improved performance over “vanilla” React.
The framework also offers zero configuration, automatic code splitting and prefech out of the box.
- How to create and configure next Next based projects
- Exposure to some gotchas
- How to handle special cases around server/client side only and using environment variables
- Custom routing and parameter handling
What will be covered?
- Up and running: application architecture: Create your first fully SSR Next.js application. Compose layouts and head elements.
- Extending: custom routing, parameters: Clean and custom URLs, mapping params, environment variables, and more.
- Connecting: Database backed pages: Beyond the code: dynamic data and securing pages.
- Testing, building & deploying: Tests & fixtures with Jest, gotchas, and deploy strategies
From previous attendees
Remy’s workshop was excellent. Expertly filling in the blanks on using Next.js in the wild.
The workshop on Next.js was very informative and covered a full project build (integration, testing and build) in the space of a single day! Taught through a number of defined snapshots (Git tags), it was very easy to follow how such a project could be implemented.
I really enjoyed Remy’s Next.js workshop. It was easy enough to follow without issues and challenging enough to realise it’s potential and try bringing it to my company.
Who is this workshop for?
What hardware/software do you need?
You will need a laptop with the latest stable node installed, and something for making a lot of notes.
About Remy Sharp
Whilst he’s not writing articles or running and speaking at conferences, he runs his own development and training company in Brighton called Left Logic. And he built these popular tools: nodemon, jsbin.com, inliner, jsconsole.com and others!
Time & Location
This full-day workshop will be hosted at the Microsoft Technology Center and will take place the day after SmashingConf. The workshop will be running from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM on Thursday, October 17.
Schedule for Thursday, October 17
9:00 AM – Doors open, Registration
9:30 AM – Introduction & Kick-off
11:00 AM – Coffee Break
1:00 PM – Lunch
2:00 PM – Afternoon Session
3:30 PM – Coffee Break
5:30 PM – The End
Save 100 USD when signing up for the conference and a workshop!