Building Performant Websites
Full-day workshop • April 4th
Performance is a critical consideration for online experiences. We don't stand still on the web. We click links, we expand menus, we move from page to page — we are constantly having our experiences shaped by how quickly each of these interactions takes place.
In this full-day workshop, we'll explore the techniques and tools you need to begin building better performing sites right away.
In this workshop, you'll learn:
- How to sell performance to your boss and clients.
- How to identify performance bottlenecks in your sites and applications.
- The steps the browser goes through to display a page on your screen.
- What the critical rendering path is and how to optimize for it.
- What new technologies like HTTP/2 bring to the table.
- Common performance pitfalls that people run into and how to avoid them.
Who is it for?
This workshop is for any front-end developers or designers who want to start building better performing sites. As long as you're at least familar with the basics of HTML and CSS, you'll feel right at home.
What hardware/software do you need?
To get the most out of the workshop, we recommend you bring a laptop prepared with your favorite text editor and browser.
This full-day workshop will be hosted at the Fort Mason and will take place before two days of SmashingConf. The workshop will be running from 9:00am-5:00pm on Thursday, April 4th. You can register online and save over $100 when you sign up for all three days.