Advanced CSS & Sass for Modern Applications
Full-day workshop • Thursday, April 18th
From building beautiful sites, to maintaining complex design systems across applications, CSS is the web-language of design. Like all web languages, Cascading Style Sheets have come a long way since their early inception – providing powerful and dynamic tools for cross-browser and cross-device interface design.
In this workshop, Miriam Suzanne will introduce a variety of new and advanced CSS techniques, along with practical use-cases, integrations, and pitfalls. You’ll learn how to manage CSS variables, grids, calculations, support queries, and more – but understanding the syntax is only a start. We’ll talk about building a robust code architecture with CSS-driven design systems, passng data between JS and CSS, and combining modern techniques to solve real, everyday interface problems.
In this workshop, you’ll learn:
- Modern CSS Features: custom properties (variables), calc, grids, flexbox, writing modes, advanced media & support queries, and more
- Building powerful interactions between CSS and JS
- Combining techniques to solve practical problems, from layout and theming, to interaction, and data visualization
- Common gotchas and work-arounds
- Using Sass to write more meaningful and maintainable systems
- CSS & Sass architecture patterns that scale
- Writing Sass & CSS for design systems & pattern-library automation
The workshop is intended for professional front-end developers with experience in HTML and CSS.
What hardware/software do you need?
Bring your own laptop, your favorite text editor, and any practical CSS issues you’re facing.
Time & Location
This full-day workshop will be hosted at (link: locations text: Fort Mason) and will take place after the two days of Smashing Conference. The workshop will be running from 9:30am to 5:30pm on Thursday, April 18th.
Schedule for Monday, April 15th
9:00 – Doors open, Registration
9:30 – Introduction & Kick-off
11:00 – Coffee Break
13:00 – Lunch
14:00 – Afternoon Session
15:30 – Coffee Break
17:30 – The End, Networking
Save 100 USD when signing up for the conference and a workshop!