Advanced CSS & Sass For Modern Applications
Full-day workshop • Thursday, April 18
From building beautiful sites, to maintaining complex design systems across applications, CSS is the web-language of design. Like all web languages, Cascading Style Sheets have come a long way since their early inception – providing powerful and dynamic tools for cross-browser and cross-device interface design.
In this workshop, Miriam Suzanne will introduce a variety of new and advanced CSS techniques, along with practical use-cases, integrations, and pitfalls. You’ll learn how to manage CSS variables, grids, calculations, support queries, and more – but understanding the syntax is only a start. We’ll talk about building a robust code architecture with CSS-driven design systems, passng data between JS and CSS, and combining modern techniques to solve real, everyday interface problems.
In this workshop, you’ll learn:
- Modern CSS Features: custom properties (variables), calc, grids, flexbox, writing modes, advanced media & support queries, and more
- Building powerful interactions between CSS and JS
- Combining techniques to solve practical problems, from layout and theming, to interaction, and data visualization
- Common gotchas and work-arounds
- Using Sass to write more meaningful and maintainable systems
- CSS & Sass architecture patterns that scale
- Writing Sass & CSS for design systems & pattern-library automation
The workshop is intended for professional front-end developers with experience in HTML and CSS.
What hardware/software do you need?
Bring your own laptop, your favorite text editor, and any practical CSS issues you’re facing.
About Miriam Suzanne
Miriam is a co-founder at OddBird, with 15 years experience as a project manager, user-experience designer, and front-end architect. She is the creator Susy and other popular toolkits, author of SitePoint’s Jump Start Sass, and staff-writer for CSS Tricks.
Time & Location
This full-day workshop will be hosted at Fort Mason and will take place the day after SmashingConf. The workshop will be running from 9:30am to 5:30pm on Thursday, April 18th.
Schedule for Thursday, April 18th
9:00 AM – Doors open, Registration
9:30 AM – Introduction & Kick-off
11:00 AM – Coffee Break
1:00 PM – Lunch
2:00 PM – Afternoon Session
3:30 PM – Coffee Break
5:30 PM – The End
Save 100 USD when signing up for the conference and a workshop!