Smart Responsive UX Design Patterns
Full-day workshop • Thursday, April 18
Are you ready for a design challenge? In this brand new workshop, Vitaly Friedman, co-founder and creative lead of Smashing Magazine, will be taking a microscopic examination of common interface components and problems appearing in responsive user interfaces. In this workshop, we’ll be spending an entire day drawing and designing responsive interfaces, starting from accordions, to date/time pickers, sliders, feature comparisons, car configurators all the way to insurance calculators and trip planners.
The workshop is intended for intermediate/advanced designers and developers who have an understanding of responsive design and how it works.
Most techniques are borrowed from mid-size and large-scale real-life projects, such as large eCommerce projects, online magazines and web applications. We won’t cover the basics, instead, the workshop covers more advanced — and often obscure and innovative techniques.
In this workshop, we’ll go hands-on into exploring:
- Responsive art direction techniques and advanced layouts, with many inspiring and memorable examples,
- Navigation, with mega-drop-downs, breadcrumbs, carousels, accordion and filters,
- Builders, with a car configurator and mobile plan builder,
- Forms, with email verification, password input, country selector, privacy issues, sliders and public transportation, and a banking transaction UI,
- Date pickers, date range picker and a time picker, incl. booking an appointment and booking an airline ticket,
- Tables, with a feature comparison table, currency exchange calculator, pricing plans,
- Search, with autocomplete, filters, search results,
- Calendars, with a multi-track schedule, TV Guide schedule, music festival schedule, exhibition calendar, spreadsheets and dashboard,
- Audio/Video, with a video player UI and audio-based input,
- Maps / Data Visualization, with a shopping mall map, election map, smart region input,
- Timelines, with a historical timelines, soccer game signature and live leaderboard and standings,
- Real-time experience with betting UI for soccer, poker and live video streaming,
- Footnotes and sidenotes in magazine articles,
- Seat selection, for a concert/theatre/exhibition and a perfect airplane check-in,
- Responsive PDF for documents and restaurant menus,
- Responsive upscaling, with eCommerce experience on large screens and article layout on large screens,
- Design anti-patterns to avoid to prevent running into maintenance issues and “slow UX decay”.
What hardware/software do you need?
You’ll need to bring a lot of creativity with your preferred coffee mug. We’ll be spending a lot of time drawing, sketching, designing and thinking. Laptop is preferred but not absolutely necessary. You’ll need a lot of sleep reserves since it’s going to be a packed day. Bring a lot of attention to detail and non-standard thinking to this one! ;-)
About Vitaly Friedman
Vitaly Friedman loves beautiful content and doesn’t like to give in easily. When he is not writing or speaking at a conference, he’s most probably running front-end/UX workshops and webinars. He loves solving complex UX, front-end and performance problems.
Time & Location
This full-day workshop will be hosted at the Fort Mason and will take place the day before SmashingConf. The workshop will be running from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM on Thursday, April 18th.
Schedule for Thursday, April 18th
9:00 AM – Doors open, Registration
9:30 AM – Introduction & Kick-off
11:00 AM – Coffee Break
1:00 PM – Lunch
2:00 PM – Afternoon Session
3:30 PM – Coffee Break
5:30 PM – The End
Save 100 USD when signing up for the conference and a workshop!