Unfortunately, due to recommendations from the SF Mayor's office restricting group size, and with countless travel bans in place affecting speakers, attendees, and team members, we cannot give you the conference experience you expect and deserve. For these, and many more reasons, SmashingConf SF (April 21–22) is re-scheduled for November 10–11, 2020.
Full-day workshop • Thursday, November 12th
In this React workshop, Cassidy Williams will teach you the fundamentals of React. By the end of the day you’ll be able to build a React app from the ground with ease.
This workshop is built for developers who are new to React, haven’t had experience building a production application with it yet, or who haven’t used React hooks before. Overall, it's a good introduction, or refresher, to have!
We'll explore the most central part of React: rendering user interfaces. We'll have a combination of lectures and exercises with which you can follow along, and by the end of this workshop, you'll understand the fundamentals you'll need to know to build modern React applications.
In this workshop you’ll learn about:
- State and State Changes: State is an object that represents the parts of the app that can change. If you’d like your app to do anything, it will involve state. Understanding State and how it works will unlock your ability to build powerful components.
- Effect Hooks: Writing functions that don’t return components, but rather cause “side effects” in your code. This will include data loading, and syncing with events happening outside of your current function.
- React Router, and dynamic, client-side routing, allows us to build a single-page web application with navigation without the page refreshing as the user navigates.
- Data Flow: Data flows in React via “prop drilling”, but doesn’t always have to, and here we’ll go over how to lift state across components and how to use the Context API.
Who This Workshop Is For
- Developers who are new to React.
- Developers who have built things with React but would like to be refreshed.
What hardware/software do you need?
All materials will be provided. Please bring your laptop with your favorite editor.
About Cassidy Williams
Cassidy is an instructor and developer with React Training. She’s worked for CodePen, Amazon, L4 Digital, Clarifai, and Venmo, and she’s had the honor of working with various organizations, including cKeys and Hacker Fund as their Director of Outreach. She’s active in the developer community and one of Glamour Magazine’s 35 Women Under 35 Changing the Tech Industry and LinkedIn’s Top Professionals 35 & Under.
As an avid speaker, Cassidy has participated in several events including the Grace Hopper Celebration for Women in Computing, TEDx, the United Nations, and the U.S.A. Science and Engineering Festival. She wants to inspire generations of STEM students to be the best they can be, and her favorite quote is from Helen Keller: “One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.” She loves mechanical keyboards and karaoke.
Time & Location
This full-day workshop will be hosted at Fort Mason and will take place the day after SmashingConf. The workshop will be running from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM on Thursday, November 12th.
Schedule for Thursday, November 12th
9:00 AM – Doors open, Registration
9:30 AM – Introduction & Kick-off
11:00 AM – Coffee Break
1:00 PM – Lunch
2:00 PM – Afternoon Session
3:30 PM – Coffee Break
5:30 PM – The End
Save 100 USD when signing up for the conference and a workshop!