Unfortunately, due to recommendations from the SF Mayor's office restricting group size, and with countless travel bans in place affecting speakers, attendees, and team members, we cannot give you the conference experience you expect and deserve. For these, and many more reasons, SmashingConf SF (April 21–22) is re-scheduled for November 10–11, 2020.
Smart Responsive UX Design Patterns
Full-day workshop • Monday, November 9th
Are you ready for a design challenge? In this workshop, Vitaly Friedman, creative lead and front-end/UI consultant behind Smashing Magazine, will be taking a microscopic examination of common interface components and problems appearing in responsive user interfaces. In this workshop, we’ll be spending an entire day drawing and designing responsive interfaces, starting from accordions, to date/time pickers, sliders, feature comparisons, car configurators all the way to insurance calculators and trip planners.
The workshop is intended for intermediate/advanced designers and developers who have an understanding of responsive design and how it works.
Most techniques are borrowed from mid-size and large-scale real-life projects, such as large eCommerce projects, online magazines and web applications. We won’t cover the basics, instead, the workshop covers more advanced — and often obscure and innovative techniques.
In this workshop, we’ll go hands-on into exploring:
- Insights into how people interact with mobile interfaces and what it means for thumb-optimized designs
- Navigation, with accordions, mega-drop-downs, breadcrumbs, carousels and filters,
- Builders and customizers, diving into details of a car configurator and a mobile plan builder,
- Forms, with email verification, password input, country selector, sliders, error validation, incl. public transportation and a banking transaction UI,
- Date pickers, date range picker and a time picker, incl. booking an appointment and booking an airline ticket,
- Calendars, with a multi-track schedule, TV Guide schedule, music festival schedule, exhibition calendar, spreadsheets and dashboard,
- Tables, with a feature comparison table, currency exchange calculator, pricing plans,
- Timelines, with a historical timelines, soccer game signature and live leaderboard and standings,
- Maps / Data Visualization, with a shopping mall map, election map, smart region input.
- Onboarding and offboarding UX for higher conversion and retention rates,
- Search, with autocomplete, filters, search results,
- Audio/Video, with a video player UI and audio-based input,
- Real-time experience with betting UI for soccer, poker and live video streaming,
- Authentication patterns, CAPTCHA and 2-factor-authentication,
- Privacy UX, incl. GDPR cookie consent prompts, push notifications, pop-ups, permissions UX and data management,
- Footnotes and sidenotes in magazine articles,
- Seat selection, for a concert/theatre/exhibition and a perfect airplane check-in,
- Responsive art direction with practical techniques, strategies and examples for less generic solutions,
- Responsive PDF for documents and restaurant menus,
- Offline UX techniques and strategies,
- Design anti-patterns to avoid to prevent running into maintenance issues and “slow UX decay”.
What hardware/software do you need?
You’ll need to bring a lot of creativity with your preferred coffee mug. We’ll be spending a lot of time drawing, sketching, designing and thinking. Laptop is preferred but not absolutely necessary. You’ll need a lot of sleep reserves since it’s going to be a packed day. Bring a lot of attention to detail and non-standard thinking to this one! ;-)
About Vitaly Friedman
Vitaly Friedman loves beautiful content and doesn’t like to give in easily. When he is not writing or speaking at a conference, he’s most probably running front-end/UX workshops and webinars. He loves solving complex UX, front-end and performance problems.
Time & Location
This full-day workshop will be hosted at the Fort Mason and will take place the day before SmashingConf. The workshop will be running from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM on Monday, November 9th.
Schedule for Monday, November 9th
9:00 AM – Doors open, Registration
9:30 AM – Introduction & Kick-off
11:00 AM – Coffee Break
1:00 PM – Lunch
2:00 PM – Afternoon Session
3:30 PM – Coffee Break
5:30 PM – The End
Save 100 USD when signing up for the conference and a workshop!