Supercharge Your Skills with Creative Coding
Full-day workshop • Thursday, June 23, 2022.
Supercharge your skills with Creative Coding on the Web Platform
⚡️ Learning to Express Yourself with the “Impractically Practical” ⭐
The web platform is an incredible thing we all have access to. You’re able to create pretty much anything you want (within reason) by opening a browser. It’s just pixels, am I right? That’s how you should leave this workshop feeling. With the confidence to build not limited by your tech stack, but your imagination.
In a sea of gradient text and three box layouts, express yourself! There’s always space for whimsy. And when you’re fuelled by your ideas, we are able to explore and innovate the web platform together. Creative coding really brings with it so many benefits. But, the main one? The confidence to solve whatever is laid in front of you.
What Will Attendees Learn In This Workshop?
- Brainstorming and inspiration tips — How and where to find inspiration for any project
- Voice interaction — How can you interact with your website by voice
- Device orientation — What is device orientation and how can you let your website respond to device movement.
- CSS animations & transitions — How to sprinkle in CSS animations and transitions to make your website stand out.
- Custom properties — How do custom properties work, and how can you use them to theme your project?
- 3D CSS — How can you go from 2D to 3D with CSS.
- Voice interaction & device orientation — Make your website respond to motion and voice.
- DevTools — Know how to debug and refine the things you’ve learned to make in DevTools.
- Solving problems — How to become a better problem solver (Your boss will love this!)
Who Is This Workshop For?
What Hardware/software Do You Need?
Yourself. A laptop. Either a CodePen account or the starter Github repo cloned and ready to go!
About Jhey Tompkins
Jhey makes awesome things for awesome people! He’s worked on the web for 10+ years and is currently a Developer Relations Engineer @ Google. He’s previously worked with and for names such as Monzo, Eurostar, Nike, Uber, NearForm, and M&C Saatchi. Jhey thrives on bringing ideas to life. And as such, one of his main goals is showing people how to level up with creative coding. He takes pride in crafting innovative solutions with polished user experiences. He’s a CodePen advocate and shares attention-catching demos over on Twitter. Stay Awesome! ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Time & Location
This full-day workshop will be hosted at Fort Mason and will take place the day after SmashingConf. The workshop will be running from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM on Thursday, June 23.
Schedule for Thursday, June 23
9:00 AM – Doors open, Registration
9:30 AM – Introduction & Kick-off
11:00 AM – Coffee Break
1:00 PM – Lunch
2:00 PM – Afternoon Session
3:30 PM – Coffee Break
5:30 PM – The End
Save 100 USD when signing up for the conference and a workshop!