Tammy has spent the past two decades studying how people use the web. Her book Time Is Money: The Business Value of Web Performance (O’Reilly) is a data-driven exploration of the intersection between performance, user experience, and business.
Tammy is Chief Experience Officer at SpeedCurve, where she helps companies understand how visitors use their websites. She is a frequent conference speaker, co-curator of WPO stats, and co-chair of the annual performance.now() conference.
A (Fairly) Complete Guide to Performance Budgets
It's easier to make a fast website than it is to keep a website fast. If you've invested countless hours in speeding up your pages, but you're not using performance budgets to prevent regressions, you could be at risk of wasting all your efforts.
In this session, we'll cover how to:
- Understand the difference between performance budgets and performance goals
- Identify which metrics to track
- Validate your metrics to make sure they're measuring what you think they are – and to see how they correlate with your user experience and business metrics
- Determine your budget thresholds
- Get buy-in from different stakeholders in your organization
- Integrate with your CI/CD process
- Maintain your budgets so you stay fast!