Lightning Fast Web Performance
Full-day workshop • Thursday, June 27
Page-load times in the ten-second range are still common today, and as the gap between high-end and common devices widens, page performance stands to get worse for the average consumer. Why so slow? It’s mostly our fault: our sites are heavy, and they’re often delivered in ways that don’t take advantage of how browsers work.
Providing fast, consistent, and reliable performance on the web today IS possible, and doing it well requires forethought and a proactive mindset. Due to today’s tools and research, we’ve never had a better understanding of what it takes to not only make a site fast, but to make a site consistently fast. Thankfully, the same proven patterns can make most any site on the web lightning-fast and resilient to spotty connections.
What you will learn
In this workshop you will learn how to effectively think about web performance today. You’ll learn about common performance metrics you can observe and which ones matter most, you’ll learn to identify performance bottlenecks, and you’ll learn fast, reliable ways to deliver the different kinds of assets that drive the front-end web today.
Particular topics we’ll cover include:
- Measuring and benchmarking perceived performance
- Convincing stakeholders to prioritize performance
- Understanding the web page loading process
- Identifying server-level performance hangups
- How and when file size matters most
- Optimizing the critical path to perceived performance
- Helpful Tools and libraries
- HTTP/2 and its helpful additions
- Content Delivery Networks and edge cache transformations
- Enhancing a user interface optimistically, yet safely
- Client-side caching strategies
- Service Workers for spotty or offline connectivity
- Retaining performance after page load
- Monitoring, maintaining, and defending a fast site as it evolves
- Making existing sites faster and more resilient
What hardware/software do you need?
Please bring your own laptop, with your favorite text editor, and perhaps an idea for a site you’d like to speed up.
About Scott Jehl
Scott Jehl is a designer/developer at Filament Group who lives in sunny Florida, USA. Scott is a tireless advocate of practices that ensure web access for all. He is a frequent presenter at conferences throughout the world and is always chipping away at various open source projects with his colleagues at Filament.
Scott is the author of Responsible Responsive Design (2014, A Book Apart), and co-author of Designing with Progressive Enhancement (2010, New Riders). Scott also loves to surf.
Time & Location
This full-day workshop will be hosted at the Ivey Tangerine Leadership Centre and will take place after the two days of Smashing Conference. The workshop will be running from 9:30am to 5:00pm on Thursday, June 27.
Schedule for Thursday, June 27
9:00 AM – Doors open, Registration
9:30 AM – Introduction & Kick-off
11:00 AM – Coffee Break
1:00 PM – Lunch
2:00 PM – Afternoon Session
3:30 PM – Coffee Break
5:00 PM – The End
Save C$100 when signing up for the conference and a workshop!